Oct 2, 2010

My day at Ananthashayi

He was the most happy boy among them. He always says Aaro Vannu (somebody has come) every time somebody passed by, like he by-hearted it from someone else. Kids learn things quickly. He is only three years old and everybody there was happy watching after him. He dances with songs and tunes on others’ mobile phones, they are happy to play it for him. He called me and my friend uncle and got friendly with my friend in no time. Great to see him dance. Who can resist the sincere smile of a playful little boy.

His name is Jeevan, I am talking about a boy I met last Sunday at Ananthashayi Balasadanam. There are some boys, Jeevan is the youngest of them, and the eldest of the boys is around 16.

It was another boring Sunday when my friend called me to join him to visit Balasadanam. I was excited to to go. Because I was thinking about it for some time - but never did. I thought to have some good time with them, but it wasn’t so easy. I felt sorry about them. It took some time for me to get back to the state what I thought I’d be in. Thanks to Jeevan for that. He can stretch your lips wide, easily.

Jeevan joined Balasadanam on the very day we visited there. When I saw him, he was playing with others, like they were together for couple of weeks. Amma said his mother was admitted in a mental hospital that day and he was left alone on the street. Police dropped him there in the morning. They also made a donation to the running cost of the house. His mother may come back anytime and take her son back home. Amma said many things to me, like one of the boys’ mother work near technopark. I didn’t hear about anybody’s dad.

The eldest of Ananthashayi is Amma (means mother), that’s what she is called. It's a local custom as well. She looks like in her 80’s but quite healthy. She has no tooth in her mouth, but she has lots of affection for the boys. Sometimes it was hard to pick up the words she spells. She can read and write English, I knew it when she wrote my name. I spent time talking to her more than with kids, mostly about how sound they are, financially, to run the house. Somebody sponsored bed to all of them. Someone made it with bed sheets and pillow covers. But they have no pillows, she said. They left a chance for me. Amma never asked for anything. I got a gut feeling that she only gives it, gives in and gives up.

People come here and sponsor them Sadya (meals) on special days like their birthdays, anniversary etc. I witnessed a mother offering the same on her son’s upcoming birthday. An aristocratic and modest women, talking in well-bred tone. I was feeling better.

Amma said I can talk to others at work about them. May be, that will help the kids. So I am writing here. Jeevan said Namaste when we left. Also, the elders made him say ‘tata,’ waved his hands, with smile on his face.

2 comments:

Bharti Gupta said...

one of the best things i ever read...! srsly..! :)
i wanna meet jeevan! :) n AMMA too.. :P

pMan said...

Let me know when you visit Trivandrum.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Copyright © 2011 pMan